Midjourney is an AI Image generator created by Midjourney Inc., An independent research lab with a massive interest in expanding the imaginative powers of humans. With much focus on innovative design, human infrastructure, and AI, their effort in artificial intelligence yields excellent results.
Midjourney’s artificial intelligence image generator is a technological advancement that has democratized image creation more than ever. With Midjourney’s generative AI, you can generate compelling images with a written command prompt without being an artist, graphic designer, or photographer. This command prompt helps you to instruct the AI image generator as to how you want your image to be.
How to Access Midjourney’s AI Image Generator
1. Go to Midjourney.com and select “Join the Beta” next to the “Sign in” button. If you already have a Discord account, click the “Sign in” button next to “Join the Beta” or go to Midjourney directly on your Discord App.
Whichever way you choose, to join the Midjourney Discord server, you need to open a Discord account.
2. After selecting “Join the Beta”, you will get an invite to join the Midjourney server on Discord. Accept the invitation to continue.
If you selected “Sign in” in step one, an external application- Midjourney Bot, will request access to your Discord account. To continue, follow these subsequent steps;
- Click “Authorize” to progress
- At the left button corner of the landing page (midjourney.com/app), click the three horizontal dots
- Select “Go to Discord”
3. On Discord, click the Midjourney icon on the left sidebar to open the Midjourney server. Scroll down the Midjourney server and select any #newbies channel visible in the left sidebar (For example: “#newbies-22”). The newbie’s channel is a bot room for new users where you can start creating images with a command prompt.
How to Start Generating AI Images With Midjourney
1. To start creating your AI images, interact with the Midjourney Bot in the newbies’ channel’s prompt field like you are sending a message. Take the following steps to generate an image;
Type “/imagine prompt” or select the “/imagine” command from the commands pop-up. (Try logging out, updating the Discord app, and logging back in, if you don’t see a pop-up when typing the /imagine command)
Before the “/imagine prompt”, type a description of the image you want to create.
Click “enter” to send your message.
The Midjourney Bot takes about a minute to generate four image options.
2. After the initial four images have finished generating, two rows of buttons will appear, allowing users to upscale or create variations of their generated images.
The first row contains “U1 U2 U3 U4 U” buttons meant for upscaling an image by generating a larger version of the selected image and adding more details.
The second row contains “V1 V2 V3 V4 V” buttons for slight variations of the selected grid image. Generating a variation results in a new image grid that resembles the initial image’s style and composition
There is also a reroll button that allows you to redo a job performed using the Midjourney Bot. An assignment refers to any action with the bot, such as using the /imagine command to create a grid of images, upscaling images, or generating image variations.
3. When you upscale an image, a new set of options will be displayed:
- Make Variations: this option generates a new grid of four images that are variations of the up-scaled image
- Beta/Light Upscale Redo: you can redo the upscaling process using a different, more upscale model by selecting this option
- Web: This option will open the up-scaled image in your Midjourney.com gallery.
You can rate any up-scaled image on Midjourney’s website or Discord by clicking the smiley button. The top 1000 image raters are awarded an hour of free fast mode time daily. You can rate your work and the work of others based on your style and opinion.
4. To save your image, click on it to open it in full size, then right-click on it and select “Save image” to save it to your device.
If you are using a mobile device, long tap on the image and then tap the download icon in the top right corner. All images can be viewed instantly on midjourney.com/app.
Put Your Imagination to Work with Midjourney AI Image Generator
From hands-on experience and the image generated by others using this AI, it is safe to say that the limitation to maximizing this AI could be our imagination and not necessarily the capability of this AI text-to-image generator. While using this artificial intelligence, you will notice that the better your prompts, the better AI-created images you generate. The quality of your prompts will then depend on the quality of your imagination and your ability to articulate them in the way the AI Image generator can translate into images.
Generating an image triggers the Midjourney free trial, which allows roughly 25 jobs. Use the “/info” command to check your remaining trial time. After the free trial, use the “/subscribe” command in any Bot channel to generate a personal link to the Midjourney account page. Community guidelines apply wherever the Midjourney Bot is used.
Written by: Moses Atoyebi